Thursday, October 20, 2005

Initiation Night for Camma Krakka Frama

Rest in Peace Flying Monkey

To those who don't know, The Flying Monkey said goodbye last night at the Loch Raven Reservoir Bridge Trail. She, a Surly 1x1, had a strong run, but alas her poor ol' heart..er..chainstay coudn't handle the pounding it has received over the years. You see...she was a rescue. A poor slob couldn't take care of her any longer, so I took her under my wing no questions asked. My guess is that she didn't get her shots (of rustproof on the inside of the frame). She held up for 4 to 5 good years with nary a complaint. Her untimely demise was quick and painless (for both of us), but the emotional trauma still is lingering. Her last words were "keep on single speedin' good buddy...keep on keepin' on. I'll miss you Miss Flying Monkey...godspeed!

[Insert Boys II Men's Goodbye to Yesterday]

Now on to look for other SS's. Do I go 29 or stay 26? Surly or Vicious? Go broke or broker? Damn the decisions. When I was a single lad without many priorities the decision was easy. Maybe it's time to get that part time job and build my dream SS. Until then, I think I'm going to convert an old frame so I have something to do during the winter. And you thought you were sent to pasture Kara! My GT Karakoram is coming out of retirement! Okay, I gotsta talk about something else.

The commute today was chilly and somehow I managed to go .4 miles less than usual which I am baffled by...must be a computer glitch. forgot to strap on the arm warmers and paid on the 25-35 mph descents. But after a while the wool got warmed up and the fleece although bulky was appreciated...it seemed like I was still in bed. I saw another biker on the road today. I thought it was a co-worker so I amped up my pace to catch up, which never happened. I saw a red Trek VW jersey, which makes me think it could have been Chris Eatough because he lives out this way. And no, I never even got close. The person took off like fire! My gut says Chris, but odds say Trek VW wearing road general (I was going to poser, but the dude was flying!)

New in the musical rotation is Reverend Run's Distortion. It takes me back to the Raising Hell days, when my brother and I would be playing marathon games of MicroLeague Baseball and in between innings pretending to be Jam Master Jay. The CD is relatively short, but packed with a ton of old school flavor...my favorite being his tribute to Jay with Lynard Skynard's Sweet Home Alabama as the hook. I'm not sure what the connection between the two are, but the lyrics are great and the music is...well...legendary. A great mix of rock and rap...something Run DMC started (or at least brought to the mainstream)...Limp Bizkit who? Maybe the connection is that both group lost the heart and soul of their bands in such a tragic and unnecessary fashion...Oh well, I don't typically dote on musical interpretation too often.

Hop thanks for the CD! And for finding me in the forest last night...I will never take the "shortcut" again.

Stay the essense of pulchritudiness, ya'll.

No comments: