Tuesday night had my dad and I bottling our creation during our second homebrewing session. I was relatively straight forward. First rule of bottling: SANITIZE. Our instructor, Bob, said this time and time again. He's a very laid back, soft spoken individual, so I determined that this was his way of shouting at us.
So we sanitized and hung the bottles on a rack, which we would come back to after we racked. HUH? Yes, I had the same confusion. Being the learned brewman that I am, I did homework. I read Homebrewing for Dummies. One section was called racking...I assumed that when we put bottles on a rack, that well, this must in fact be "racking". Politely, Bob corrected me. Racking is the act of siphoning out the fermented wort from the fermentation bucket. This process minimizes the amount of sludgy byproduct (mainly yeast) that gets bottled. So from the fermentation bucket to the bottling bucket our booze did flow.
Next step, bottling. The bottles were at the ready and the caps were, you guessed it, sanitized. The bucket had a nozzle that was place directly into the bottle and the magic happened - beer in bottle. Not yet bottled beer mind you, the next step was to crown (cap, if your a rookie) the bottle. My dad was a ninja on the crown crimper, and with much hesitation let his young jedi operate the heavy machinery.
Voila...we had two cases of beer. They are now bottle conditioning for another 10 days. We will pick the finished product up next Saturday during our final session.
BIKING - HAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA...um no.
No comments:
Post a Comment