Friday, July 29, 2005

Fish Fry Friday

Not much to report on the homefront. Last night's "commute" took me to Performance Bike to pick up some Continental Gatorskins {crossing fingers}. I was going to strap them on the road machine, but I made good on my word and delivered a bottle of wine to my SAG wagon driver yesterday. I picked up a bottle of Red Bicyclette Syrah, which was supposed to be a offering of thanks. Well the offering turned into a toast, which turned into dinner. To the good life and good friends!!

My plan for tonight is to get a town loop in before the forecasted showers. I also hope to tune my mountain rigs too. The Surly needs some help on the rear wheel and the Sugar keeps on ghost shifting...nightmare on hill climbs. Hopefully I can get a Loch ride in this weekend.

So what's with today's blog title? Well, my grandpa used to email the entire family every Friday to keep us in the loop. He lived for his family and was very proud of each and everyone of us, which poured out of his weekly epistles - "Pecene Ribe Petak", Croatian for "Fish Fry Friday". So every Friday I will try to report a little bit about the goings on of my family. Of course this means we have to communicate a little better. So if you are reading this, and I know you are, write a comment below and tell me what's going on! The following is a excerpt from his obituary:


His daughter, Barbara Chesnik, had bought him a computer. He was soon corresponding with the extended family, getting people in touch with each other. Then he began his own family newsletter, distributing it nearly every Friday by e-mail. Chesnik called his newsletter "Pecene Ribe Petak" - Slovenian for Fish Fry Friday, said another daughter, Linda Evans. "He did it so everybody would know what everybody was doing," Evans said. "We have bound copies - this is the fourth year for sure. His family was really what made him tick. He was just such an enthusiastic person for all of us."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

He was like the self appointed head of the family - - the person that everyone "wanted" to gather around - - "wanted" to be part of - - and thus, reinforced the meaning of family and the responsibilities we all have in keeping in touch with each others lives. Keep up the contact - - it's important to us all.