Wednesday, July 11, 2007

I was run-nang

So I went to Soldiers Delight to determine my pace for the Du this weekend. I intentionally started out quick with a 7:15 mile, and then scaled it down a notch to 7:30. WOW...I felt great...BAM!!! Ouch, ouch, ouch...I was hobbling around trying to regain my balance and to the floor I went. I picked myself up, dusted myself off and yelled at myself. I tweaked my ankle mildly, so I walked back to my truck (only a mile).

I took off my shoe to access the damage. Tender, but not a lot of swelling and no bruising. Good signs. I followed the RICE/MICE rule (Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation, Movement) in an attempt to avoid a tragedy in the morning.

So I woke up and I was able to hop, skip and jump (that's your visual) with only a little pain. At present, still no bruising, but it is tender and slightly swollen (probably because I can't elevate). So it looks like the lead up to the race will be exercise free...

I also found out that the last leg of the duathlon is 5 miles, not 2 miles. So the race looks like this:

3 run (while the tri's are swimming .75 miles)
14 bike (two 7 mile laps...10.5 on semi-tech trail, 3 on road!)
5 run

I've never been in a race with a speed-oriented transition. I mean, I've been in a hanful of adventure races, but I didn't feel the pressure to GO, GO, GO! It should be interesting to see how the mental piece of the TA plays a hand in the big picture of the race. I tend to be a lemming at races, I follow the pace of the pack, so if there is an aggressive start...I go out gang busters. So my promise to myself is to go out at my own pace during the run, then take advantage of the bike section, and cross my fingers during the last run section.

This is yet another adventure where the waters are largely unchartered for me. I assume I will learn a lot the hard way, but I have been going through this race a lot in my hea, visualizing tempo, fueling, etc. I just can't wait until my plan poops on me!!!! That's the fun, right???

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

pretty close one after the first week! quick update as of saturday's finish (1st alp stage):
b-
valverde = 34
vino = 45
evans = 20.8
leip = 16.8
mench = 14.4
--------------
131

c-
vino = 50
valverde = 28.8
menchov = 22.4
kloden = 2.8
hincapie = 30
----------
134