Thursday, July 26, 2007

I'm racing in the Tour next year

I figure if I can just make the time cut-off for each stage, I'll have a fighting chance at a podium spot.

Seriously, the doping, lying and various other advantage-gaining tactics, have gotten way out of control. Whatever happened to long training days in the saddle, watching the diet, studying competitor tactics, etc? When your acumen and god-given talents were your edge. And if you didn't have those, well, you raced amatuer or were a hard-nosed domestique.

I don't like making blanket statements. There are way more honest riders than cheats and frauds, but I am getting very disgusted at these doping scandals. Once you get into the top echelon of pro cyclists, I would assume the edge over your true peers is harder to find. Throw large amounts of cash in the mix through sponsorship deals and bonus money, and now you have created your powder keg for cheating.

It happens in all sports - even chess (seriously - thanks Brad). I would love to have heroes again that I can honestly look up to and I would love to think that Lance, Floyd and Tyler are innocent. Nothing is sacred.

I am too mad to write more eloquently!

Oh, screw you, Chicken!

No comments: