Monday, September 12, 2005

Long weekend

OK, so it was only the normal "two-day variety" weekend. On Saturday, I woke up with pup in tow and set off on a 5-mile hike. I thought this would be a great opportunity to get some training in for the adventure race and also get my pup out and about...Kill two birds with one stone. Well, these two birds were cast quite early in the day as myself and Cobi Joan. We were hiking in contained woods with 3 miles worth of trails. The trails were blazed horribly. And the story goes, we got lost trying to find our way out of Soldier's Delight. 8-10 miles later we found or way back to the Jeep.

Highlights:

  • Saw old chronium mining shafts. Baltimore was the first to mine chronium and produce chrome...I never knew that. Cobi was more anxious than I to explore the shafts/caves, so next time I'm bringing a flashlight.
  • Put the Xterra backpack to good use. Packed it with two 3lb weights and some additional clothing. Then I proceeded to pack the helmet carrier with rocks for additional weight.
  • There was some sort of Native Indian ceremony, but I couldn't find where it was coming from. I heard the beating of drums and chants. Pretty neat.
  • Cobi Joan finally figured out she was a dog. By mile 6ish we came upon a stream where she dove right into and drank from. She did Papa proud!
  • Don't always trust the trail map. I would swear that there are more trails cut throughout the original Soldier's Delight trails.

On Sunday, I did some house cleaning and then hit the Ravens game with my buddy Keith. we went with a local watering hole who supplied food, beer and transportation. It was a fun time, but my body doesn't do so well the next day after an extravaganza like that. Oy vay. I think I'll stick to watching the game from home. Don't get me wrong it was fun...too much fun...Ouch my head!

See ya, wouldn't wanna be ya!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rule 1: Always have compass with you -- and know how to use it.

Rule 2: Have USGS or comparable maps of area -- and know how to read them.

Rule 3: Never spelunk without a partner -- of the human type.

Rule 4: always have fun. Pops

Cam said...

Hey pop,

These were blazed trails with a relatively simple loop system. It is my belief additional trails had been illegally cut so an "official" map would have done bubkus. A compass may have helped directionally.

The mine appeared to be flooded, so basically my experience would be about 5 yards in.

I always have fun...ZjD