Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Who turned out the lights?

As mentioned, Hoppe and I hit Loch Raven last night. It felt great to be back on the single dinga albeit a little awkward. The cockpit is slightly more compact than the Sugar, but I got adjusted quickly.

After a quick few mishaps with Hoppe's bike (spilling in front of an SUV and flatting out after crashing over a log whilst bunny-hopping it), we were cruising through the hardpacked singletrack that Loch has to offer.

I believe Hoppe was trying to motivate me by riding behind me, but that got short lived, as I am not a big fan of someone hogging my wheel, especially on rooty sections with a rigid bike. The man is plain ol' fast...I appreciated the gesture, but I had to set him free. Plus, I was pushing that bike as hard as it could go (32x16).

Once we reached the midway point, we headed back....and like that...the lights had been turned off. No more day light to easily navigate our way back to the cars. At this point, Matt had a considerable lead on me and my night vision sucks!! So I amble may way back, like a drunken sailor steering his boat, over the numerous obstacles that never impede my progress under normal circumstances. Throw into the mix a rigid fork and you have a recipe for disaster. I eventually made it out unscathed, but I am definitely rocking the light system next time.

And no, I didn't commute...

No comments: