Friday, September 30, 2005

Of being a gentleman

I favor myself prevailingly as a gentleman. Even when I'm on the trails. If I see someone in need, I stop to ask if they need help. If someone is stranded and needs a tube or a shot from my CO2 pump, I don't think twice. However, when I am rolling at a decent clip up a hill, I usually (as trail etiquette states) take the right of way. Much like the scenario last night. I was riding with Hop at Loch and I come upon two riders after a decent who were stopped in the trail. They said one more rider. I look up and see only Hoppe, so I continue on. I peak a smallish hill and hear "you're no gentleman" from one of the guys and then I see a woman who wasn't even clipped in yet who was attempting to restart.

Well sir, you don't know me....and indeed I am a gentleman. Just ask me Ma! I treat women with respect but when you strap on a helmet you are no longer classified by gender, rather you're a rider. Everyone following the same set of basic rules for a common end and that is riding your damn bike...What was I talking about???

The trail ride was fast and fun. The singlespeeds are a welcomed change. Just you and the bike working together to peak ascents, scale decents, absorb root and rock and methodically tuning mind and muscle to adjust for the ever changing terrain. Sound difficult? I used to think the KISS method was Keep It Simple Stupid, but now it also means Keep It Single Speed. Simplicity at its finest.

Be looking for the wisdom of Shih Tzu Propaganda coming soon....

No comments: