Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Feelin' Good

BREAKING NEWS: The Marine Corps Marathon is in my future. All future events have been put on lock down. Current events include the 24 Hour Wild and Wonderful AR, 24 Hours of Big Bear and the Blackbeard Sprint AR at the OBX. Additional events will be reviewed, but limited due to marathon training.

So, the Frederick Halfy has been ran successfully. I accomplished two out of three goals (in order of priority):

1. Finish - accomplished
2. Run the entire time - accomplished
3. Finish in under two hours - 2:07

I'm chalking it up to a couple things. I didn't have a stellar workout plan. In fact, one could say I didn't have a workout plan at all. My list of activities that I needed to train for were scattered across various disciplines (mainly running and biking), which made training for my first long distance race difficult.

I may have taken the distance for granted. I thought that I had covered that distance before, so it wouldn't be that difficult. Well, factor in some unaccounted hills, wind and the relentless asphalt...and you have a whole new run. I am now seeing why it is imperative to train in all conditions and terrain.

My short list of excuses...my ankle was sore by mile 6 (block the pain) and course nutrition wasn't my usual or to my liking (Gatorade, Water, and Tri-Berry GU). So the takeaways, wrapped ankle and take my own electrolyte drink and food.

I can not express enough my gratitude to my running partners, Zack and Newb. They stuck by my side when they could have forged ahead faster. They were there at my side at mile 10 when I encourage them to go ahead (ie: I wanted to walk). They were there at mile 2 when I needed to scale back my pace. They were there when I put on my typical sideshows of "turning and burning" and "feelin' good" - and tolerated my antics. And we were there at the finish line - crossing together. Thanks fellas!

After the post-run hoopla of Factured Prune doughnuts and gatorade, we headed back to Casa de Paul e Maggie. Zack and I opted out of our Gambrill ride and instead rode the remaining 13 miles of the marathon course. We cheered on runners while looking for the Smither as he was finishing his 26.2 mile excursion. Somehow we missed him out there, but we watched him cross the finish at Harry Grove. Way to go Smither!

Post-post race found Newb, Zack, Sean and myself scarfing down Five Guys burgers and reminiscing...or not.

Post-post-post race, Zack and I hit our home away from home...REI.

The end.

No comments: