UPDATE: (Note: I'm now putting updates at the top of the blog). Just another inspirational tidbit. Lance training in the Pyrenees (read the product description to read quote).
Here's the recap folks:
Friday: Took a half day at work to surprise the ol' wifey for her b-day. Afterwards took a trail run at Soldier's Delight. I thought I was going to do a one lapper at "speed". I was a half mile into the run and here comes this truck up the trail. Mind you this is a hiking only trail and this wasn't a ranger.
I got off to the side of the trail to let the truck pass and the driver stops and rolls down the window. Obviously in distress, I ask if everything is okay and he says his dog passed away. I thought that's too bad, but thought he meant he buried his dog in the woods. After talking to him, I come to find that the pup just died on the trail and he is trying to get the truck to him. I told him that I was doing a lap and would help if needed.
I continued on my run preparing myself for what I was going to see. As I approached there was a lady and her two dogs and this huge dog lying dead next to her. My heart dropped, but my "comfort" side kicked in as I started to get closer. I told her I ran into her friend and said I would help. I now decided to take another lap, so off I went. I was a half mile away from the start before I ran into the guy who was now walking down the trail towards the dog without the truck. No luck, he couldn't get the truck any further into the trail.
So I ran back to my truck and pulled a tarp and ran back to the two grieving hikers. The owner and I rolled the dog onto the tarp and we began to hike him out, but he was just too damn heavy (est. 180-200lbs). I told the guy that we are getting this dog out of here today and we hiked back to the truck. He looked at the 20 yard piece of trail and said no way. I looked at it and said give me the keys.
And like that I was through...nary a problem. He drove the remainder of the way and we put the dog into the truck bed. I stayed to talk to him for a while. He was telling me about the travels he and his pup had...trust me, the dog had a great life, albeit short (4 years). He travelled more in his short life than I. The guy was obviously grief stricken, but said he didn't know how to feel. I told him remember the good times and savor the pictures, which struck a chord. He had just taken pictures that day.
As we were about to part he asked me how he was to re-pay me. I told him that rescuing the dog was payment enough and if you run into a similar situation as I did...help.
I continued to run in the opposite direction. I assume I logged 7-8 miles.
Saturday: I was the designated driver for my wife and her two best friends, as we all headed to the Maryland Wine Festival. I had a great time, but the heat was pretty killer. I did partake in two glasses of wine, but that was about it for the imbibing. The college crowd was younger and I didn't see any of my peers. K, on the other hand saw her whole entire high school, which was great. When the festival was over, we were invited to a party afterwards. I was hoping to hit the Citizen Cope show with my buds, but Kand friends were having too good of a time to end it. Since the party was all of her high school friends, I opted to drive her and her friends over and then head abck to her parents house. I thought she would have a better time not having to worry about me and I got to hang out with her parents. After a while, I got "the" phone call and was on my way to pick them up.
Sunday: Made breakfast, took K to the airport and went for a trail run/hike...all in all 7 miles. The rest of the day I snoozed.
Monday: Work, no commute due to K's return flight, which I told her to bump to an earlier flight if desired. I haven't heard from her since she landed, so I assume an 8PM pick-up.
3 comments:
Looks like your running is working out real well 7-8 mile trail run. I expect you to take the lead riding tomorrow for as much of it as you can. Push, Push ,Push!. We will start to do Ride and runs real soon! Probably on the weekends. I was thinking about gambrill on Sat. Early!
An Idiot's Haiku
The gloves have been thrown. Singlespeed days are upon us
I always go hard now.
You, my friend, are just plain ol' FAST!
I know how you felt on Friday -- one of the longest walks I've ever taken was out to the back fenceline to 'inter' Lacey --grown men aren't supposed to cry......she was after all, a very dear friend and confidant. As well you know.
Post a Comment