I hope the "on again-off again" routine doesn't become commonplace in regards to my commuting. I had a perfect storm of late work nights and evening commitments taking me away from the bike recently. But with the increasing gas prices (I never had the pump stop at $50.00 before, I thought that was an urban legend) and my Adventure Race aspirations, I have brought in next weeks work clothes and I am tweaking the bike. I'm doing this damn thing!!!
If I could feasibly ride every workday I would save $2,400 in gas money alone. That's a sweet ass bike! At the rate I'm riding (3 out of five days) I would save $1,440, which is a great down payment. I need to figure out a decent goals and rewards system, I think I work better that way. Obviously there are intangible rewards, but my dumb little brain is wired for the tangible benefits. The bicycle marketing gods that be, you won this time...you've got me cornered into the world of "There's cooler stuff out there!" DAMN YOU!!!
Watch out for me blazing the roads of B-more county...seriously watch out and give me my space!
Cam out!
NEWSFLASH: In other news, I recently assisted in the purchase of a new bicycle that my company was sending to a fellow employee in Pascagoula, MS. The benefits for working with a fleet leasing company is that we were also able to score a demo vehicle for him as well. Toyota let us use a Prius from their demo pool. Our transportatioin company drove the Prius with the Trek locked safely in the trunk. I can only imagine that the driver felt like a steak amongst a pack of wolves as he drove the 50+ mile per gallon car through the hurricane zone. Our c0-worker stated that there wasn't an operating gas station within 100-200 miles. The Prius will come in very handy. His wife is also enjoying the use of the bike to run local errands. She is also riding for leisure to due to the lack of electricity, etc. Hopefully it is an escape in an otherwise desparate situation. It's a Trek Cruiser with a front loading basket to help with errands. He told us not to worry about a helmet, so we sent one :)
1 comment:
Most cool -- both the std for the day and the news flash. The news flash puts a human face on it all. Keep us up to speed on the Pascagoula front Pops
Post a Comment